Thursday, November 21, 2013

The little Red Book of Malayalam Alphabet

After the wild and unimagined success of the alphabet book I made for dan (it was the most widely read post on this blog so far and it got featured in Malayala Manorama, so double yay!), a little boy's pretty mom asked me to make a custom book for him. So I made one. My first attempt at making a full fledged hard bound book from scratch!

Ta-da!

The little red book!



Well, it is completely handmade and hand bound and I don't have a letterpress or professional cutting machines. So excuse the amateur look! 


,

But it is pretty, no? I feel major amounts of pride in making it. :) 




                                                                      The title page


There are about sixty little pages and pictures. It will be impossible to post all the pages. And hence here is a sneak preview into few of my favorite pages...

Like this mother and child who are doing a balloon stroll...



Or this cute snail and chameleon perfectly rocking this pink page,


Or the medicine bottle and the teddy bear,



This father who sits cozily and reads a story to the child,



This little fellow peeping from the window,


This scene from the sea,



And D is always Dinkan in the mallu child imagination! :) Say it loud, folks! "Ethiralikkoru Porali!"


This stick figure Dolak player!


And the parrot which gave green its name and fame,


This charming fruit basket....



This deer whom Salman Khan might have wanted to pursue,


This cow, oh, this cow, does she need a description?


A lion in most child related households are zimba, but in our household a lion is always "Alex, the Lion!"


This pictogram representation of rain, the ultimate mallu fantasy!


This whimsical well with face and a smirk!


This kungfu kid!


This peacock, this fish!



The book will now rest and set under thick academic books we have in plenty. The book will then be sent off to the lovely little boy, Noonu :) I hope Noonu will like it. I will look forward to reader's approval from Noonu and shortly from his little brother/sister! :)

Thanks a lot Joshina Ramakrishnan for asking me to do this. Doing this was a really really happy experience! I also learned a lot about the lipi from the chats we had on facebook. :) Much love,

2 comments:

  1. This is my most favorite post :) Mostly because it inspired me to make such little book (more like a handmade story book) for my sister-in-law for Christmas. Thank you so much and keep inspiring me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im going to make one too..thank you for the post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...